Skip to content
- 20 kg (2 boxes) of Egg Tomatoes
- 6 tbs of Sugar
- 6 tbs of Salt
- 3 tbs of Pepper
- Fresh basil leaves (approximate 3 per bottle)
- Approximately 30 x 300ml jam jars
- Wash the tomatoes to remove any dirt or grit. Cut off any bad spots if found.
- Blanch the tomatoes in boiling water for a minute or so. The skins should be starting to come away from the flesh at this point.
- Remove from pot and place into the tub. Add cold water to cool down the blanched tomatoes enough to handle.
- Peel the skin off the tomatoes.
- Crush the tomatoes with your hand to remove excess water.
- Place into a colander and allow to drain.
- Blend the peeled/ crushed tomatoes into a thick puree and place into a large pot.
- Bring the pot to boil. Add sugar, salt, pepper and basil and stir well.
- Reduce heat to a vigorous simmer for 3 hours, stirring regularly.
- Pour the passata into clean and sterilised jars. Leave an approximately 1cm gap between the passata and fasten the lid on. Lids should pop as they start to seal.
- Store jars in a cool & dry place. Passata will keep for up to three years but can also be used immediately.